March 13, 2014
BENIGNO SIMEON AQUINO, JR.
Republic of the Philippines
Dear MR. PRESIDENT:
The Cardinal, Archbishops and Bishops listed below strongly urge you not to allow Sagittarius Mines, Inc. (SMI) to mine the mountain of Tampakan, South Cotabato, for copper and gold.
Our opposition to SMI Glencore/Xstrata Copper-Gold Project is based on moral grounds, namely:
(1) the destruction of almost 4,000 hectares of forested and agricultural land and biodiversity is against the integrity of God’s creation (cf. Gen. 2: 15);
(2) the dislocation of almost 6,000 surface dwellers, mostly B’laans, from their ancestral land is against human right;
(3) the threat to food security and human life through the use of cyanide and heavy metals for processing ores is very real;
(4) the past killings and future violence as the B’laans will defend their ancestral land – source of food, building material, burial grounds of their ancestors and place of living will adversely affect peace and harmony.
(5) Up to now SMI Glencore/Xstrata has not given any proof that open pit mining preserves the integrity of God’s creation.
The cost, Mr. President, will far outweigh the benefits to government and the Filipino people.
Praying for your God-enlightened decision,
Orlando B. Cardinal Quevedo, OMI, D.D. – Archbishop of Cotabato
Archbishop Fernando R. Capalla, D.D. – Archbishop Emeritus of Davao
Archbishop Antonio J. Ledesma, SJ, D.D. – Archbishop of Cagayan de Oro
Archbishop Romulo G. Valles, D.D. – Archbishop of Davao
Archbishop Jesus Dosado, CICM, D.D. – Archbishop of Osamiz
Bishop Guillermo V. Afable, D.D. – Bishop of Digos
Bishop Patricio H. Alo, D.D. – Bishop of Mati
Bishop Emmanuel T. Cabajar, CSsR, D.D. – Bishop of Pagadian
Bishop Jose A. Cabantan, D.D. – Bishop of Malaybalay
Bishop Romulo T. de la Cruz, D.D. – Bishop of Kidapawan
Bishop Edwin A. de la Peña, MSP, D.D. – Bishop Prelate of Marawi
Bishop Elenito R. Galido, D.D. – Bishop of Iligan
Bishop Dinualdo D. Gutierrez, D.D. – Bishop of Marbel
Bishop Martin Jumoad, D.D. – Bishop Prelate of Isabela, Basilan
Bishop Angelito Lampon, OMI, D.D. – Vicar Apostolic of Jolo
Bishop Jose R. Maguiran, D.D. – Bishop of Dipolog
Bishop Wilfredo D. Manlapaz, D.D. – Bishop of Tagum
Bishop Nereo P. Odchimar, D.D. – Bishop of Tandag
Bishop Juan de Dios Pueblos, D.D. – Bishop of Butuan
Bishop Julius S. Tonel, D.D. – Bishop of Ipil
Bishop Jose Colin M. Bagaforo, D.D. – Auxiliary Bishop of Cotabato
Bishop George B. Rimando, D.D. – Auxiliary Bishop of Davao
+DINUALDO D. GUTIERREZ, D.D.
Bishop of Marbel
Back to: CBCP Documents